Used a recipe from Brian Boitano. Turned out quite tasty.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large red onion, sliced
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/2 pound Taleggio, cut into slices
- 1/2 pound Gorgonzola, cut into slices
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 loaf crusty rustic Italian bread, sliced
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent about 15 minutes or more.
- Add the sugar, red wine vinegar and water and cook until the liquid is reduced completely and the onions are caramelized, about 20+ minutes. Set aside.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread and arrange, butter side down, on a sheet pan. Put 1 piece of Taleggio onto a slice of the buttered bread, then a piece of Gorgonzola. Top with a heaping tablespoon of the onion jam, and another slice of the Taleggio. Cover it another slice of bread.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Put the sandwiches into the skillet and cook until the bread is toasted and golden and cheese is melted, about 4 minutes per side. Slice each sandwich in half and serve.